KABUL: Afghan defence minister and Army Chief resigned on Monday resigned after the deadly Taliban attack that killed over 140 soldiers last week.
A statement from the Afghan President Office said that President Ashraf Ghani accepted the resignation of the defence minister and army chief of staff.
“Defence Minister Abdullah Habibi and Army Chief of Staff Qadam Shah Shahim stepped down with immediate effect,” the presidential palace announced in a post on its Twitter account.
A spokesman for Ghani said that the resignations were given over Friday’s attack in the northern city of Mazar-i-Sharif.
At least 140 soldiers were killed and many wounded, an official in the city said on Saturday. Other officials said the toll was likely to be even higher.